Tuesday, June 2, 2009

BFFs


Most readers of this blog will not know the lady in this picture, so I will provide some history.

This picture was taken over Memorial Day weekend here in Nashville at Radnor Lake with my oldest friend, Kim White. Kim and I met in 1st grade when we were in Mrs. Davidson's class at Sulphur Springs School. We became best friends when we were in 5th grade in Mr. Pelletier's class.

Over the summer between 5th and 6th grades, Kim and her mom and brother were in a car accident when they were hit by a man who ran through a stop sign. Kim had a serious head injury and was in a coma for a month. Kim's brother did not make it.

Kim and I became even better friends in 6th grade after she came back to school following months of rehab. She went through a lot that year as she recovered from the accident. Her family moved to Valencia before we went to 7th grade so we didn't go to school together after that, but we stayed friends. I'm sorry to say that we lost touch with each other after high school. Over the years since I often thought of Kim and wondered what had happened to her and what she was doing with her life.

Then came a random search I did on myspace after we moved to Nashville in 2007. I couldn't believe it -- thanks to myspace I was able to reconnect with Kim after almost 15 years! I got her to join Facebook (cause it's way better) and we have stayed in touch. She moved to Destin, FL around the same time as we moved to Nashville. For Memorial Day weekend, Kim drove up to visit us. It was so wonderful to see her. It was like we had never lost touch at all.

On Saturday we spent the majority of the day touring The Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home. We had a wonderful day and learned about his life, as well as Southern culture during his lifetime.

On Sunday we hiked around Radnor Lake and saw a lot of animals including squirrels, chipmunks, baby ducklings, baby geese and turtles. It was a beautiful day.


I am so proud of Kim and all she has accomplished in her life so far. She has traveled around the world, published a book (Humboldt), worked as a radio and print journalist, and lived in different states like Washington DC and all over California. She continues to live a rich, full life full of adventure and joy, and has so much courage, persistence and a wonderful sense of humor. Most of all, I am happy to say that Kim remains the loyal, sincere and kind friend I still remember from those days of childhood innocence at SSS.

1 comment:

Tara Heiner Blog said...

That's awesome that you got back in touch with such a great friend. Glad to hear you had a fun visit. I love going to the Hermitage. Hope all is well and we'll have to keep in touch too! love ya