Sunday, May 3, 2009

Belated Easter post


I have to admit that as I get older I become less and less interested in holidays, or celebrating holidays. If I was still single I probably would never celebrate anything! My feelings have (sadly) evolved into an overall boredom and even frank annoyance at being obligated to celebrate holidays. Nowadays my attitude is that a holiday is just like any other day but isn't because society says so. So we believe we have to spend money we would never otherwise have spent, and exhaust ourselves preparing for and cleaning up afterwards. However, since I am married and Eric does enjoy holidays I usually do try to come up with something.

For example, we did have a Christmas tree this year which was the first tree we have had since we've been married. It was nice. (But, we were hardly ever home to see it and it took twice as long to take it down than it did to put it up.)

Another example, I learned how to make matzoh-brie and make it on New Years Day morning (this was our second year running).

But this year for Easter I made no plans whatsoever.

Until Heidi & John invited us over to dye Easter eggs, which I haven't done in probably 15 years and Eric has not done since he was in elementary school and was taught something about religious traditions around the world. Given that he was raised Jewish, the dying of eggs and the ensuing hunt were certainly not an annual tradition!

Needless to say, Eric was excited with the prospect of egg dying and gleefully rummaged through boxes to find his collectable Star Wars egg dying kit for the occasion.

We had a blast and it was probably the most holiday-y endeavor I have embarked on for some time.

Following the dying, we sampled some Gigi's Cupcakes. This is a local bakery in town that I had heard rave reviews about for awhile. We now understand why. Those cupcakes were to dye (ha ha!) for! We tried Scarlett's Velvet, Midnight Magic Chocolate Chip, Lemon Dream Supreme and a special Easter one that was devil's food cake w/ buttercream frosting that had little bunny ears.

Then, Heidi showed us some episodes of her new favorite show, Big Bang Theory. We were both pleasantly surprised, and think the show is hilarious! We love Sheldon! "Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock!"

No comments: