Friday, October 2, 2009

Rambling Update

I have been a neglectful blogger. I often think about writing, and then I am distracted by something else with higher priority. Often that higher priority is sleep!

  • September was a much better month. Eric was hired for a new job, which he absolutely loves. He is the Director of accounting for the Nashville City Club. It is a private business club in the penthouse (20th floor) of one of the high rises downtown. It has a restaurant and bar and they cater business meetings and conferences as well as weddings and other events. Eric is much happier at this job and we feel that this position really utilizes all of his skills and talents, as he functions as the club's controller. This is a wonderful opportunity for him as far as career advancement as well. He also travels 0% of the time! We are so relieved... he was traveling over 60% when he was auditing at Deloitte. The layoff from Deloitte was really hard for him to go through -- but now he sees it was actually a huge blessing in disguise. God will not fail us!
  • Now that Eric is working again, we feel we can spend some of our money in fun ways. When Eric was unemployed we didn't spend anything because we didn't know how long his period of unemployment would last. It is nice to feel some freedom with our income. Last week we bought new furniture for our family room and two lovely rugs, one for the kitchen and one for our office. Even though we have been in our house for over 2 years, we haven't decorated it very well. We are starting to work on this so our house will look more lived in. We got the entire house painted in July. But, so far I have only 1 picture hanging on a wall -- and that's in the powder room downstairs. For some reason I have never "moved in" to this house. I want to change that. We also took my Christmas present from last year to be framed so we can finally hang it. It is Christ in a Red Robe by Minerva Teichert. It is one of my most favorite paintings. One of the reasons I love it is because it is fairly abstract. I don't feel like I'm being hit over the head with "THIS IS JESUS" -- everyone STOP and stare at him -- image. I want people of any religion or spiritual persuasion to be able to come into our home, know that we are Christian, but not feel like they're being stared at. This painting has a very peaceful, spiritual feeling in it that people do notice, though. We took the canvas to two different framers to get estimates, and both of the people who looked at it commented on how calm and beautiful the image is. I also love the warm colors in the painting. It is going to go downstairs next to our stairway. I'll post a picture of it when it's framed and up on the wall.
  • I turned 35 on September 17. I am now officially in my mid 30s. That does not sound as good, exciting or fun as being in my mid 20s. Overall, I am proud of where I am at this stage in my life. I believe I am at the stage I dreamed I would be at this age when I was in my 20s. I am married to my soul mate. I am in the middle of my second successful career as a clinical social worker (the best career move I ever made). I am a homeowner. I have two dogs who bring me so much joy and love. I have maintained wonderful friendships with those who were the most important to me in my 20s. I have developed stronger faith. I know that God knows me. Really the only thing I would change is where I live. If I could click the heels of my ruby slippers, I would be in Santa Monica right now ... eating a Poquito Mas black bean burrito followed by a Diddy Riese icecream sandwich.
  • I wish I lived closer to my friends. Ironically, none of my closest friends (other than Eric of course!) live in LA anymore. It would be nice to go shopping with Alise, go running with Tami, or out to eat with Rachel... We all live in different states and almost all my friends have at least two children so lives are too crazy and too busy for those things. Now I'm remembering the glory of my mid 20s!
  • I've been in Nashville for 2 years, 4 months. I have found a great hairstylist (Whitney), MDs, dentist and vet (Dr. Singleton!). The quest continues for a chiropractor that is convenient to my house or my office. Oh how I miss Dr. Michele Boston in Santa Monica -- chiropractor to the stars! and regular people.
  • I hate the fact that it's October now which means that it will only be getting colder... not warmer. I dread the winter so much. At least we have new TV. I do not have much time for TV but my appointment shows this season are: How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Glee, Top Chef, 30 Rock and The Office. That's it. I will watch Lost when it comes back in February. I will watch Dancing With The Stars if there is nothing else on and I'm not otherwise busy with something else. I also will watch So You Think You Can Dance if it is on and I'm not doing anything else because Eric likes that show (for Kat Deeley of course!) and usually watches it. Right now I am getting the biggest kick out of Glee. It is so sick and twisted in this hilarious, satirical, geeky awesome way.
  • Eric should be home soon with pizza. I love pizza. It is probably my favorite food. I especially love it with onions, olives, green peppers, tomatoes... sometimes pepperoni but I peel it off so I don't have to actually eat it but then I get the spicy flavor baked into the cheese. Friday night is always a good night for pizza!

No comments: